Nov 3, 2010

Martial Arts

My Tae-Kwon-Doe instrutors
Martial Arts literally means the art of war. The human race always needed this skill to defend themselves. Nowadays, more than defense, it is used as a way to stay fit and be disciplined in life. There are several forms of Martial Arts such as, Karate, Tae-Kwon-Doe, and Tai-Chi. 

Most Martial Arts originated in China, Japan, and South Korea. Karate mainly originated in Japan. Karate focuses primarily on striking. Punching kicking, knee and elbow strikes, and open-hand techniques are all part of Karate. Another Marital Art type is Tae-Kwon-Doe. It's origin is in South Korea. I take Tae-Kwon-Doe, which focuses on kicking and punching. One last Martial Art method is Tai-Chi. Originated in Japan, Tai Chi is very slow moving, and is only a demonstration competition in the Olympics.

My own journey of Tae-Kwon-Doe started when I was six-years-old. I thought on my first day that I would learn how to do a back flip, instead I learned that Tae-Kwon-Doe was much more than crazy tricks. It was hard work and took a lot of courage to keep going. Now that I have reached first degree Black Belt I learned to have a "respect all, fear none" attitude.  I thank all my teachers and Tae-Kwon-Doe instructors for helping me achieve this remarkable feat. This has enhanced my respect for all my teachers.

One thing that i have always enjoyed is watching movies based on Martial Arts.
Martial Arts and movies are not alien to each other. Martial Arts have been involved in movies for a really long time. Karate Kid is one of the best known but there are others like  The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, or  Enter the Dragon. Enter the dragon was Bruce Lee's final film before he died on July 20, 1973. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, is a movie that stars Gordon Liu and Lo Lieh. Two not-so common names of Karate stars.


What type of Martial Arts would you like to join?

1 comment: